As a Media Specialist in a high school, I had one of the French teachers request video and other materials that will help her teach about the Haitian culture in one of her classes. We found that it was very difficult to find current information, especially video of Haiti. Most of what we could locate was out of date or focused more on the political struggles in Haiti.
Also, as a result of a trip that I took this year, friends, family, and other Cumberland Community church members are interested in learning more about Haiti. Many have asked to see videos, to hear stories, to see pictures, and to see a map of where we went on our trip. They would also like to learn basic information about Haitian culture.
2) Objective
I would like to provide a way for students and others to experience Haiti so that they can see both the differences and similarities in Haitian lives and our own. Through a web site that I will design, I will focus on the people of Dolval, a village located east of Cap-Haitian. I will help others to have a better grasp on life in Haiti through video, pictures, guided questions, and links to outside resources. The web site will also support the French teacher by giving her students the opportunity to go beyond just a verbal description of Haiti.
3) Description
Subject:
The people and daily life in Dolval, Haiti.
Students:
The students that the web site will be used with will be both high school French students, as well as other people interested in learning more about Dolval, Haiti. Others that might be interested could include members of Cumberland Community Church and people who have donated money to the non-profit organization, Haiti Cheri.
4) Culture
Often when we think of culture we do not see beyond differences in food, clothing, homes, and other external expressions of culture. This web site would allow students and others to see the external, through pictures, videos, and music, but would also allow them to see a little bit deeper. It would show them about typical Haitian communication styles, organizational styles, and intellectual styles through guided questions that compare and contrast these styles with a reader’s styles.
5) Timeline
No comments:
Post a Comment