Monday, September 29, 2008

Thoughts and Concerns on Assessing Student Learning

The lesson that I am designing will definitely be project based. Because of this, I think that it will be very important to design both formative and summative assessments that will accurately gauge what the students have learned. I have already decided that I would like for the students to be involved in designing the rubric. This will help them to have more buy in, as well as really helping them to understand what the final product should include. Because I am not a classroom teacher, I am not usually involved in this part of the process. It makes me a little nervous to design something on the spot. I want to make sure I get the most out of the process and that together we will design a good rubric.

As far as formative assessments, the classroom teacher and I will be walking around and helping students as they are conducting research on the ANWR topic. After they create their concept maps, we will meet with the groups to discuss their predictions and how they are going to represent them in Google Earth. The process of guiding and mentoring a group will be a new process for me. I think that I will need to be conscious of not getting set on what I see the project looking like and to really see how the students can run with their own ideas.

1 comment:

Titus Martin said...

I think that you have decided on a great project topic. I really like the correlation to an important issue, technology, and current events.
As far as the assessment, I think you have a great start on that as well. I like letting the students design the rubric. For this assignment to be effective, the students must be sold on the project and letting them design the rubric is a great way to do this. Allowing the students to have freedom within the project is a tough item and it is good that you are already considering this struggle. Looks like you are doing a great job.